Ingredients: (makes 6)
- 180g cornflour
- 170ml sparkling water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- Light-flavoured oil
- Sunflower oil (for frying)
- 500g squid, cleaned and cut into 6cm pieces
- 1 red chili, finely sliced
- Lime wedges (to serve)
- Mix together 120g of the cornflour and the sparkling water to make a batter. Season the remaining cornflour with salt and pepper.
- Place a wok over medium–high heat. Heat 5cm oil in the wok until very hot.
- Dust the squid in the seasoned cornflour and then dip in the batter. Fry in small batches until golden and crisp. Add the chili for the last few seconds.
- Drain on kitchen paper and serve with lime wedges, fried red chili and seasoning! Enjoy!