Bright and citrusy, the Cosmopolitan is one of the world’s most well-known cocktails — and arguably a delicious symbol of a night on the town with your girlfriends. Also known as a Cosmo, it enjoyed a pop culture-fuelled spotlight in the 1990’s through HBO series Sex and the City as the drink of choice for protagonist Carrie Bradshaw and her friends. Said to be created to give the classic Martini a twist that would appeal to women, the blush-tinted Cosmopolitan is usually ordered as an aperitif and served in a martini glass.
A Cosmopolitan Cocktail is the perfect antidote to a long work week. Whether you enjoy them with friends or sip one solo, the cocktail’s refreshing flavours of vodka, Cointreau, cranberry juice and lime juice will lift your spirits.
Cosmopolitan Cocktail Ingredients
Absolut Vodka Citron 45 ml
Cointreau 15 ml
Cranberry Juice 30 ml
Lime Juice 10 ml
SodaStream sparkling water 500 ml
Garnish: Orange peel or lime wedge
How to make a Cosmopolitan Cocktail:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with 45ml of Vodka, 15ml of Cointreau, 30ml of cranberry juice, 10ml of lime juice and ice.
- Shake and double strain into a martini glass.
- Fill your bottle with 500ml of cold fresh water and insert it into your SodaStream sparkling water maker.
- Push the button based on your preferred carbonation level.
a. Once - light fizz
b. Twice - medium fizz
c. Thrice - strong fizz
- Top your martini glass with your preferred amount of freshly-fizzed SodaStream sparkling water.
- Garnish with orange peel or lime wedge.
- Cosmopolitan Cocktail is ready to serve.
This cocktail is easy to recreate should your pantry be missing the key ingredients. No cranberry juice? In the shaker, muddle some tart fruit such as raspberries, or use more lime juice and add a splash of grenadine. No Cointreau? Triple Sec or Grand Marnier will do nicely too.
Prefer a boozier version?
Add champagne or your favourite Prosecco.
Creating a non-alcoholic version for the kids?
Achieve the same fruity flavours with soda water or tonic water.