Generally served straight up without ice, Manhattan is said to be an integral part of any mixologist’s repertoire. Considered a stiff drink, this sophisticated aperitif is said to have been created as early as the 1800s — named after the iconic club it was first served in. Particularly popular among socialites, it is deceptively easy to whip up in the comfort of your home. For a refreshing take on a classic cocktail, elevate yours with Sodastream sparkling water.
For the man or the woman who appreciates the full-bodied flavour of whiskey, a Manhattan Cocktail hits the spot, any day of the week. The bitter notes of whiskey are mellowed by the slight sweetness of vermouth and the herbaceous notes of Angostura Bitters, combining to create a smooth-tasting drink.
Manhattan Cocktail Ingredients
50ml of rye whiskey 2 ounces
30ml of sweet vermouth 1 ounce
Angostura bitters 1 or 2 dashes
SodaStream sparkling water 500 ml
Garnish: Maraschino cherry
How to make a Manhattan Cocktail :
- Chill a coupe for a few minutes.
- Fill your bottle with cold fresh water and insert it into your SodaStream sparkling water maker.
- Push the button once (light fizz), twice (medium fizz) or thrice (strong fizz) based on your preferred carbonation level.
- Add rye whiskey, sweet vermouth and Angostura bitters to a cocktail shaker filled with ice, and stir well.
- Strain into the chilled coupe.
- Top up with your preferred amount of freshly-fizzed SodaStream sparkling water.
- Plop in a Maraschino cherry before serving.
Don’t own a coupe?
While purists will insist that a coupe is the best glass to serve this cocktail in, you can use a lowball or martini glass.
Stir, strain, sip
Never shake a Manhattan, or you will end up with a cloudy drink void of the burnished copper-hued, crystalline aesthetic it is synonymous with.
For a fruitier flavour
Not a fan of the acrid burn and spicy notes of Angostura bitters? Orange bitters offer more sweetness and a different depth of flavour. Consider rubbing some orange peel around the rim of your serving glass for an extra aromatic, citrusy hit.